What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
1. Internet in the morning. I have a plan for this.
2. Sleeping in. This is part of the same plan mentioned above. Of course, there will be exceptions: Sundays, out-of-town days, sick days.
3. Eating after 8pm. My eating habits are insane. I often eat after gigs, which means eating around midnight. Ali will be really happy about this decision.
4. Drinking while performing. I’ve been thinking about this one for a while. It’s such an easy habit to slip into. After the show, fine. But during the show, I’m sticking with water on stage.
5. Clothes I don’t wear anymore. We’ve been good about this for a while now, but there’s much more hiding in the corners of the closet.
6. Myspace. Feel like laughing? Look at what a mess my Myspace page is right now. I pressed that “update to the new layout” button and it was like a bomb went off on my page. And really, Myspace is just done. I don’t need it and it takes up more digital space in my life than it should. It feels like a junk filled basement that I keep avoiding. But instead of cleaning it out, I’m just going to eliminate it.
7. Broken Christmas lights. Seriously. Why?
8. Unknown “friends” on Facebook. Yep. It’s out of control.
9. Defensiveness. I’m going to use Havi’s word “dissolve” instead of “eliminate” for this one. I’d be setting myself up for major disappointment if I commit to “eliminate” this habit, but I can stay focused on dissolving it.
10. Debt. Unless a huge chunk of cash falls in my lap, it’s actually not possible to eliminate the entire amount within one year, but I’m going to do some math and decide on a specific target. I can probably eliminate half.
11. Music junk drawers. There are too many of these drawers in my life…
(photo by Ali Eisner)
Previous Reverb10 posts:
Day 1: 2010, In A Word
Day 3: 3 Moments from 2010
Day 4: Wonder
Day 5: Letting Go Of Attachment
Day 7: Community + Accountability
Day 9: Fake New Year’s
Day 10: Little Decisions