“Christine Bougie is one of Canada’s most in-demand session musicians, but she should be a household name in her own right.” NOW Magazine
“Bougie’s playing is a revelation” Exclaim! Magazine
“…one of the most interesting and versatile guitarists in Canada” Ron Sexsmith
“There’s a long history of hired musicians who are as good, if not better, than their bosses, and Christine Bougie, Amy Millan’s go-to gal for everything lap steel, is part of this important group.” NOW Magazine
“…a compelling guitarist and music-maker. After hearing a few notes you can’t help but want to enter her musical world.” David Occhipinti
“Christine Bougie is one of Canada’s very best…she has a distinctive sound and a sense of humor that is a breath of fresh air in Toronto’s music scene.”Jaymz Bee, JazzFM91
20 things about me…
- I started playing the guitar when I was around 10 years old.
- The first thing I learned to play was the “Secret Agent Man” riff. My dad showed me.
- I was obsessed with Led Zeppelin when I was 12.
- I was reluctant to take lessons after being “self-taught” for 2 yrs.
- I now don’t believe there is such a thing as “self-taught.”
- The first place I ever performed was called The Club (in St. Catharines, Ontario). My dad used to take me to The Club and let me play/hang out, while he kept his distance sitting at the bar. I was 14.
- I love Superman.
- Joni Mitchell’s “Shadows & Light” was a pivotal album for me.
- In the 1st grade I loved The Beatles and my favourite radio station was “Oldies 104.”
- In the 2nd grade I was obsessed with Elvis.
- In the 3rd grade I liked Kiss.
- Before picking up the guitar I wanted to draw comic books.
- I’ve never had a Big Mac.
- I couldn’t read music until my 2nd year of college.
- I got to play with my musical hero, Bill Frisell, in Banff, Alberta.
- I started playing the lap steel in 2005.
- I’ve played on over 30 recordings.
- I don’t use a pick.
- I’m not a gear head.
- I have 4 albums of original music. Hammy’s Secret Life is my first album, and This Is Awesome (a collaboration with my friend Dafydd Hughes) is my second. In 2010 I released Aloha Supreme. My newest CD is called Hearts And Galaxies.
still need to know more? OK. read this interview from Nov 2009
photo by Graham Powell